Monday, August 11, 2008

BTWG at the ORP

Spent Sunday at the O'Reilly Raceway Park with my husband and his family. Husband and father in law both drag race (something I generally keep my distance from), and I go along with them and the rest of his family once a year or so to be neighborly. For those who may not be acquainted with the wonderment of drag racing, two cars go down the track in a straight line - either 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile, which takes about 15 seconds, max, and then 3 hours later or so, the winner of that 15 seconds gets to go down again. Repeat. During the interim hours, much discussion of cars and tinkering with cars takes place. So, it makes for a long day.

A long day that for my husband's family consists of grilling cheese burgers, drinking pop, and eating chips, trail mix and cake. So how does BTWG fit into this? Not well. These are the times when it's the hardest. Ordinarily I try to be a pretty low-maintenance gal and fly under the radar, so I felt a bit odd bringing out my little tupperwares of my own lunch and passing on everything else. Who wants to be the girl who turns down her mother in law's home made cake when everyone else is having a slice? Or already be the outsider to a close knit, meat and potatoes kind of family and then eat a lunch they all think is weird?

It's hard, what can I say. But overall it's a very small thing and I survived. And they probably already thought I was weird anyway.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Great post, Carrie! I actually live a couple miles from ORP, had no idea David was into racing.

Here's to being the "weido" at the track. Funny how the context of where we are or who we are around determines who's the odd-ball and who is "normal".

Peace,
Chris

janestclair79 said...

Oh yes...Dave and his dad are WAY into drag racing. Anytime you want to head down to ORP and experience the magic, you just let me know.