Thursday, September 4, 2008

The elusive part of BTWG that no one seems to be talking about....

Meditation! Ok, so it might be sacrilegious or not in keeping with all things peaceful and zen-like, but is anyone else STILL really struggling with this? All apologies to the teachings of Eastern religions, but this is the one part of the project that I feel has gotten worse, not better for me. I still give it the old college try, but I still struggle, and I've really come to dread it. It's awful of me, I know.

I think maybe part of my frustration is that meditation seems to often be painted as some sort of life changing, wonderfully relaxing experience (to wit, that crap book "Eat, Pray, Love"...sorry to anyone who loved it, there are a ton of you, but that lady annoyed me to no end...). And since I really struggle with it, I'm all "what, am I not peaceful enough? Am I too tuned in to our Western 'must be plugged in and on the go at all times' culture?" Probably. But it still doesn't make me feel better about things.

Any pointers? I know I can't be the only one stressing about the dishes in the sink while "meditating".

4 comments:

Rob Johansen said...

Carrie,

I understand your issue with meditiation. That has been the most neglected part of this project for me. Really bad! For me it's not that I don't want to do it....or that I am thinking about the "dishes in the sink"...I think I just don't "think" to do it enough.

I haven't missed a workout.

My nutrition has been pretty darn good....with the exception of letting more late night eating into my routine than I need.

Kept track of calories pretty well.

But I just keep "forgetting" to meditate. And it's too bad. I actually love it when I do it.

Look, those dishes won't wash themselves, but the world will continue to spin on its axis if they stay in the sink for twenty more minutes. I say this to you AND to me!!! I'll try it if you do!!!!!

Hang in and be strong and here's to three more great weeks!

Peace,

Rob

John S said...

Dear Carrie,
I went through this when Coach Chris and Coach Wendy first introduced me to meditation, and I still go through it now - "go through it" - like a door or gate that must be passed through....Anyway, they suggested that I consider my meditation practice not so much in dualistic terms of "good" and "bad" or "right" and "wrong" - but for sure just focus on the DOING. Meditation, like our workouts, our diet, our everything, has so many layers and features and nooks and crannies - you never know what you're going to find! Think about how long it takes to train the body and accept that, well, the mind is way more complex and so it might take just a little longer...now, I must go sit....

yours in health,
john

Anonymous said...

Carrie --- LOL! I laugh because I'm going through the EXACT same thing and I love how honest you are about it.

A few weeks ago I started thinking that perhaps I just don't "have it in me" to meditate. I asked Chris if it was possible that some people just CANNOT meditate? What do you thing he said? Well, of course he didn't think so and provided encouragment to keep on "practicing" and it will come in time. I do keep making the effort and get a few minutes in here and there but have yet to complete many full assigned session. I'm going to continue to try......It's sort of become a personal challenge for me to see if I can succeed at this. So, I'm not giving up!

Loretta

janestclair79 said...

Hi Rob, Loretta and Jon!

I really appreciate all your comments...it's good to know that I'm in good company on this one. Maybe that knowledge will give me the peaceful state of mind I need for some hard-core meditation:)

Carrie